A blog about fitness, movement, mobility, stretching, nutrition, and happiness!

Tuesday, October 3, 2017

We aren't just a speed and agility gym

It's so great watching the kids attitudes change.

Watching them improve in school.  Some kids that have struggled with a class now push themselves to get good grades.  They didn't think they could get "A's" and now they come in proud saying when they do see those "A's."  Others weren't making homework a priority and now they do.  Their self confidence changes.  Some start our program walking in heads down defeated by life and school and within a few months they believe in themselves and see they can be successful.  Now they come to class, head held high, smiling and talking.  A teenager who's confident with themselves is extremely powerful and uplifting.  Kids that started our program who are not athletes and more training just to control weight and learn a healthy lifestyle, start talking about what sports they want to play.  Or on the flip side, a high level soccer player who's team is doing "other training" at their soccer practice once a week, says "I'd rather just go to TNT."

My favorite is showing them that they can do anything.  It's been no secret around TNT what my huge dreams are and what building I want to take over (it remains a secret for those not in class).  When I mentioned that I had found the building I want, one response was quickly, "so you're just going to give up on [the secret building] like that?"  They know how much I want it.  They see that it's possible.  They don't think it's crazy, they encourage it.  Tonight when I showed I didn't believe in my own plan anymore, I was quickly called out and I love it.  I want to show the kids they can do whatever they want.  That first comes by showing them that I'm not afraid to go after what I want, even when we see every day it's not possible yet, we still believe.

When the kids are training together, they get along.  Great athletes with kids that don't play sports.  They could easily create drama and throw attitudes, but it's a huge rule in our facility that we respect everyone and it shows.  Kids ask about others when they don't show to class.  I ask each of them specifics about their life so I check in on each of them, which lets everyone in the group know what's going on, what problems they're struggling with, how to make the best of some tough situations, and how to have fun.  Even on the most stressful school days, the little kids come to blow off energy and run around.  The older kids, *come in with a sigh*, but know they will have a good time so they come anyways.

Our culture is something I love to sit back and watch, it makes me so happy.  To have a class of three female high school seniors who've been training for a couple years welcome two new ten year old boys to the class with hand shakes and introductions.  This would be so uncool by an school standards, but at TNT it was normal.  Our athletes welcome in all new comers.

When a young athlete who's been training consistently over a year brings his friend to class who isn't as good yet because he is brand new.  The new kid sees his friend doing everything right and in his eyes, he's doing everything wrong.  On his third day of class he stops with tears welling up, saying "I am not good at any of these drills."  I stop class and remind him of the rules where his friend points out the number one rule on the wall "Can't is a bad word."  In TNT, "Can't" is far worse than any curse word.  We listen to clean music and gasp when a bad word sneaks out of the lyrics.  But when "Can't" gets dropped during class, everybody stops, the problem gets fixed immediately.  This makes me happier than anything.  So the new kid that said "can't" after his first try of new drills, listened to my words of encouragement and totally came back strong and walked out proud. I am so proud of the expectations that get upheld and understood by every athlete that comes through class.  I never expect perfection, I expect your best effort and your best attitude.

Yes, we sell speed and agility.  We sell fitness.  We sell a gym that caters to kids.  What do we actually get from all of that- a huge self improvement and great stories that will carry them through life.

No comments:

Post a Comment